Many Paths Toward the Light; Truth the Only Compass
7/2/97 for orchestra
At the time I wrote this piece I was doing a lot of thinking and reading about the philosophy of science, Post-modernism, cultural relativism, and pseudo- and anti- science. (see Bibliography). The piece is in some way a reflection on these ideas; the title is a clue to the direction of my thinking.
- Tame, David The Secret Power of Music Vermont 1984 (This book is the biggest pile of rubbish I have ever read)
- James, Jamie The Music of the Spheres London 1993
- Dunbar, Robin The Trouble With Science London 1995
- Sagan, Carl The Demon Haunted World 1996
- Hofstadter, Douglas R. Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid London 1980